Spotlight 8. Test 3
1. Fill in: pollution, global warming, poverty, endangered, famine, homeless.
1. Because of ________ our planet gets hotter and hotter.
2. The oil spill near Alaska in 1989 was the worst case of water _____ in history.
3. Many people have been left ________ .
4. There are a lot of ________ species on the planet.
5. We say that people live in _______ when they don’t have enough money to pay for their food or housing.
2. Complete the sentences with words derived from the words in bold.
1. The ________ at the theatre last night was unforgettable! PERFORM
2. Her sister made such a nice_________ for the party. INVITE
3. What are your__________ in food? PREFER
4. Thanks to the generous_________ new houses were built. DONATE
5. The__________ of a very important letter was a shock for us. DISAPPEAR
3. Put the verbs in brackets into –ing form or infinitive (with or without to)
1. Please, call me before ……. (go) to the party.
2. She wants …………(know)why you decided to spend your vocation abroad.
3. She came ………. (collect) her letter.
4. Mother made me ……… (clean) my room yesterday.
5. I would like …………. (listen) to Scottish pipes.
6. Henry promised …………. (help )her.
7. Let me ………….(introduce) myself.
8. She is looking forward to ……………(see) her sister.
9. We should ……(tell ) our parents about the party.
10. He offered me ……( stay) at home instead of going out.
11. I’ve got enough money…… (buy )a flat downtown.
12. I would prefer……. ( go) by car.
13. I am the next …….( choose ) where to go on holidays.
14. You’d better….( sit) down.
15. He must………( apologize) for his words.
16.Jason won't mind……. (lend) you his car.
4. Fill in: used to, be used to, get used to in the correct form.
1. When I was a child I _______________ (ask) a lot of questions.
2. Sue lives alone. It is not strange for her. She _________________ (live) alone.
3. She’s been in Britain for three months and she can’t _______ (drive) on the left.
4. Mr. Roberts is a primary school teacher, so he __________________(work) with young children.
5. Fill in the correct preposition.
1. A lot of doctors were called ______ to help people after the air crash.
2. Call ______ sometime and we’ll watch the new DVD together.
3. The meeting was called ______ but we still don’t know why.
4. A nurse often calls ______ my granny because she is not well.
5. The tsunami in Indonesia called_______ immediate action.
6. Fill in the correct preposition.
1. Relax, we are _____ of danger.
2. How ________ earth did you get here?
3. Only stupid people would keep lions as pets – they are wild _____ nature
4. After the hurricane Katrina New Orleans was _______ruins.
5. He was horrified to see his office ______ flames.
7. Listen to some people talking about environmental issues. Then match the speakers (1-5) to the statements (A-F). There is one extra statement.
A The speaker didn't like the idea of car-pooling at first.
B The speaker wants to do something for the environment but it's not easy for him\her.
C The speaker does not think that the Earth will recover from the damage it has suffered.
D The speaker found a solution to his\her problem after talking to others.
E The speaker realised he\she had to do his part for the environment after watching a TV show.
F The speaker wants to join an environmental organisation.