Intellectual Quiz “Stronger Together”
(for 9th grade pupils)
развивать умения и навыки систематизации полученных ранее знаний в области английского языка и страноведения;
показать учащимся практическое значение английского языка в других областях знаний;
развивать умения и готовность взаимодействовать с другими людьми в различных областях знаний.
расширение и углубление лексико-грамматических, социально-культурных знаний;
обучение работе со справочной литературой, интернетом и другими средствами массовой информатизации для получения более актуальных и значимых сведений ;
воспитание толерантности и терпимости к культуре других стран
воспитание интернациональной культуры поведения
показать значимость межкультурной осведомленности для международного взаимодействия
1) совершенствование ранее приобретенных навыков и знаний устной речи.
2) Расширение кругозора учащихся
3) Стремление вызвать интерес к истории стран изучаемого языка
Ход викторины: в первом туре играют две команды по 10 человек + главный игрок. За каждый правильный ответ главный игрок получает 2 балла + 1 балл за каждый правильный ответ, полученный от членов команды. Во втором туре участники должны угадать известную британскую личность. Если участники угадывают личность по описанию, то получают 2 балла. Если участники угадывают личность по картинке, то получают 1 балл. Если участники не угадывают личность, то получают 0 баллов. Второй тур на скорость, баллы получает команда, которая первая даст правильный ответ. Команда, набравшая наибольшее количество баллов, становится победителем.
Оснащение: компьютер, мультимедийный проектор, презентация
Teacher: Good morning, dear boys and girls. I’m glad to see you all and welcome to the intellectual quiz “Stronger Together”. Two teams will take part in the game of the most quick-witted and cleverest. And our quiz is devoted to everything that is connected with the English-speaking countries. I’m sure you’ve read a lot of books and know a lot. This competition will show your achievements and your knowledge of the matter. I wish you all success. And let’s begin!!
2.Представление команд-участниц игры
Teacher: Now it’s time to introduce yourselves. The name of the team is... The captain of the team is…
Teacher: We have invited a competent jury to count the points. The members of the jury are… And now we are ready to start!!!
The 1st round of our quiz is devoted to English-speaking countries.
1st Round Rules:
1. How many countries does the UK consist of?
a) 3 b) 4 c) 5
2. Who is the Head of state in Great Britain?
a) The President b) Parliament c) The Queen
3. What is the favorite topic to discuss in Great Britain?
a) Weather b) Politics c) Tea
4. How many crosses are there on the flag of the UK?
a) 2 b) 3 c) 4
5. Sir Christopher Wren built …
a) Buckingham Palace b) Westminster Abbey c) St. Paul’s Cathedral
6. The British Prime Minister lives at …
a) 12 Whitehall b) 10 Downing Street c) 221b Baker Street
7. London consists of 4 parts. Name the part of London that does not exist.
a) Westminster b) West End c) South End d) City
8. Where did the Great Fire of London start?
a) at King’s stable b) at King’s baker’s c) at King’s mill
9. Continue the proverb “An Englishman’s home is his…”
a) castle b) palace c) tower
10. What flag is depicted on the Australian flag?
a) Flag of New Zealand b) Flag of Great Britain c) Flag of the USA
11. What animals are depicted on the Australian coat of arms?
a) Koala and kookaburra b) Kangaroo and emu c) Lyrebird and duckbill
12. Australia is divided into …. States and two territories.
a) 4 b) 6 c) 7
13. Tasmania is sometimes called the... isle
a) Apple B) Apricot C) Wild
14. When does winter come in Australia?
a) December B) November C) July
15. What is the longest river in Australia?
a) Murray River b) Victoria River c) Darling River
16. What American river is called “the father of waters“?
a) The Colorado b) The Mississippi c) The Missouri
17. How many senators are there in the US Senate?
a) 50 b) 100 c) 250
18. Name the city where Hollywood is situated.
a) Las Vegas b) San Francisco c) Los Angeles
19. Name the President of America who is not carved on the Mount Rushmore.
a) George Washington b) John F. Kennedy c) Thomas Jefferson d) Abraham Lincoln
20. What river does New York stand on?
a) The Yukon b) The Missouri c) The Hudson
21. Name the American who fought for the rights of the Blacks.
a) Martin Luther King b) James Carter c) Thomas Alva Edison
Thе 2nd round of our quiz is devoted to the greatest Britons.
2nd Round Rules:
1. He was a British statesman who was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. He was also an officer in the British Army, a historian, a writer, and an artist. He won the Nobel Prize in Literature, and was the first person to be made an honorary citizen of the United States. Winston Churchill
2. He was an English naturalist and geologist, best known for his contributions to evolutionary theory. He introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection. Charles Darwin
3. He was an English poet, writer and actor. He is often called England's national poet, and the "Bard of Avon". His extant works, including collaborations, consist of approximately 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems. William Shakespeare
4. She was Queen of England and Ireland from 1558 until her death. Sometimes called The Virgin Queen, Gloriana or Good Queen Bess. She was the fifth and last monarch of the Tudor dynasty. Her reign is sometimes called the "Golden age of England». Elizabeth I
5. He was a British flag officer in the Royal Navy. The outstanding British commander of the fleet, Vice-Admiral. He was noted for his inspirational leadership, superb grasp of strategy, and unconventional tactics, all of which resulted in a number of decisive naval victories, during the Napoleonic Wars. Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson
6. Сruel English military and political leader, the head of the English revolution. In 1653 he established the one-man military dictatorship of the protectorate and became «Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland». Oliver Cromwell
7. She was a British politician, who was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, and the Leader of the Conservative Party. She was the longest-serving British Prime Minister of the 20th century and is currently the only woman to have held the office. A Soviet journalist gave her the nickname "Iron Lady". Margaret Thatcher
8. He was an English comic actor, filmmaker, and composer who rose to fame in the silent era. He became a worldwide icon through his screen persona "the Tramp" and is considered one of the most important figures in the history of the film industry. His career spanned more than 75 years. Charlie Chaplin
9. The UK has always been considered the most popular member of the Royal family, she was called "Queen of hearts". She was active in charity and peacemaking activities (in particular, was an activist in the fight against AIDS and the movement for the cessation of production of anti-personnel mines). Diana, Princess of Wales
4. Подведение итогов.
Teacher: Dear friends! It’s a pity but our competition has just finished. And now let’s count the points. The 1st team has got … points. The 2nd team has got… points. The team … is the winner. Thank you for coming and taking an active part in the quiz. You are really bright and industrious. You can do different kinds of work. You know a lot about English-speaking countries and outstanding Britains. And I’m sure that your good knowledge of English will help you in your future life.